•The Uptown Shoppe, Downtown Women’s Center’s third retail store, was opened February 1, 2008. •Upscale antiques, furs, clothing of all types for women, children, and men including new items that have never been worn, shoes, purses, contemporary furniture, pianos, silver settings, lamps, and other quality merchandise donated to DWC. •All donations for The Uptown Shoppe are accepted at DWC Thrift City receiving center located at 600 SW 10th (northwest corner of 10th and Monroe). Donors may receive a tax deduction receipt at the time of their donation. •The Uptown Shoppe is not a consignment store.
Sister Mary Virginia Clark began DWC with Abba House in 1989. Her heart was for the homeless men, women, and children she saw on the streets of Amarillo. It wasn’t long before her work evolved into caring for homeless women with addictions and their children.
In 2001, Sister Mary Virginia resigned and Diann Gilmore became Executive Director. As a license social worker, Mrs. Gilmore was well acquainted with the work of DWC. Under her excellent leadership, DWC has blossomed.
DWC was given full ownership of Haven House in 2007, allowing us to more than double the number of homeless women in recovery that we can serve at one time.
The first retail store, Thrift City, was opened in 2003. The second store, Thrift City 2, opened in 2006. The Uptown Shoppe, an upscale resale store, opened in 2008. Thrift City 3 opened in May, 2010.
In 2009, DWC assumed management of Meridian Apartments providing quality affordable housing for low-income individuals.
Change Route Points
Your Contact Information:
( * These are required fields. )
The Uptown Shoppe 2477 W INTERSTATE 40 AMARILLO, TX 79109-1852