On February 25, 1936, a group of non-operating employees of the local railroad began a credit union named Panhandle & Santa Fe General Office Employees Federal Credit Union. The charter number was 1106. Five years later, on March 24, 1941, charter number 4380 was granted to Santa Fe Terminal Employees Amarillo Federal Credit Union. December 31, 1954, the Bureau of Federal Credit Unions established charter number 9971 to Panhandle & Santa Fe Operating Employees Federal Credit Union.
As all three federally chartered credit unions shared the common bond of Atchison, Topeka, and The Santa Fe Railroad Employees, a proposed merger was set in motion on August 6, 1976. NCUA approved the merger September 17, 1976 and the Amarillo Santa Fe Federal Credit Union began operations under charter number 9971 with just over $2.2 million. The field of membership was limited to employees of Panhandle and Santa Fe Railway Company, Santa Fe Trail Transportation Company, Oil Development Company of Texas, and Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company. The membership also included members